Thursday 10 March 2011

Opening the Cage

This week we had two tasks for Poetry, but I shall post them serparately. This first one was to read 'Opening the Cage' by Edwin Morgan, here's what it is:

Opening the Cage: 14 Variations on 14 Words
"I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry." — John Cage

I have to say poetry and is that nothing and am I saying it
I am and I have poetry to say and is that nothing saying it
I am nothing and I have poetry to say and that is saying it
I that am saying poetry have nothing and it is I and to say
And I say that I am to have poetry and saying it is nothing
I am poetry and nothing and saying it is to say that I have
To have nothing is poetry and I am saying that and I say it
Poetry is saying I have nothing and I am to say that and it
Saying nothing I am poetry and I have to say that and it is
It is and I am and I have poetry saying say that to nothing
It is saying poetry to nothing and I say I have and am that
Poetry is saying I have it and I am nothing and to say that
And that nothing is poetry I am saying and I have to say it
Saying poetry is nothing and to that I say I am and have it
 
So what we had to do was write our own 14 word sentence and replicate this style. Now, our lecturer didn't say what we were about to do so my sentence wasn't that interesting; in fact it was totally mundane! It is a sentence about what I was going to do after my lecture. So here is my version: 

I Will Be Going To Town Later To Buy Some Things That I Need

I will be going to town later to buy some things that I need
Going to town I will be later some things that I need to buy
To town I need to buy some things that I will be going later
Later to town I will be going buy some things that I need to
Some things that I need to town I will be going later to buy
Buy things later that I need to be going to some town I will
Town to be going later I will some need to that I buy things
I need to buy some things that to town I later will be going
Will I be going to some town later to buy things that I need
Some town I will be later need to buy things that I going to
I later will be going to some town to buy things that I need
To buy some things later I need going to town that I will be
Some going to town will later I be need to buy things that I
I will be going to town later to buy some things that I need

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment