Sunday 13 January 2013

Creative Writing: The Last Semester

I have been really bad at updating my blog lately. In fact, my last post was a whole month ago! But give me a break, it has been Christmas, and I've barely used my computer. I hardly did any writing which is actually pretty bad for an inspiring writer. Woops! (In my defence, I read a lot though).
But I'm back at University now for my final semester. This is really sad as I have enjoyed every minute and I'm not ready to become a fully-fledged adult. I don't even know what I want to do with my life. Woe. Growing up is hard. Anyway, that's not the point of this post. I have recently revived my new timetable and deadlines. And boy, is it scary.
This term I am doing Creative Voice III (Compulsory), Creative Visions, and Sci-fi and Fantasy.

So, Creative Voice III is all about what happens after the degree. We have to write CVs and letters to publishers and all sorts. There are 4 assignments, one every two weeks that I am already dreading. I didn't mind the last two modules, Creative Voice I and Creative Voice II, but I always freak out when I have a new class. Here is some work that I did for these previous modules: Creative Voice: Little Snippets and Delirium. It is one of those modules where you have to 'evaluate yourself as a writer', something I am not particularly interested in doing.

Creative Visions was a random choice (most of the other modules were script based, bleh!) and I didn't really know what it was about as the module handbook wasn't very clear either. Now, however, I know what it is about and think it wasn't a good choice to make. It's all about global change and society. Things like alternative energy, genetic engineering, population, crude oil etc. And you know who we will be discussing again? Gaia! Like I didn't see enough of her in Writing and the Environment last year. Though, I did enjoy writing stories about her: Gaia and Gaia's Final Revenge. As you can probably tell I am not a big environmentalist and this makes it hard to care about these kinds of modules; therefore I'm not inspired to write, which then leads to mediocre grades. But there is a book on the reading list that I have wanted to read for a while, Uglies. I remember seeing it ages ago in Waterstones and was intrigued, yet a little freaked out by the cover (I was only 13 and didn't like the idea of disembodied people). But now I'm older, and less influenced by creepy book covers, I'll finally get around to reading it! I'm also looking forward to the assignments. They are both creative pieces, so no more essays, hurray! That Writing History Fiction one last term really took it out of me. The first assignment is a creative piece entitled 'How We Live Today', the other is a piece imagining life beyond 2050. Now, this is quite similar to Sci-Fi and Fantasy...

This was the one module I was sure I wanted to do, and hopefully I'll still want to do it once I've started. But the assignment for this is a creative piece set in the near or distant future, maybe 2050? Sound familiar? I've basically  got the same assignment twice! I don't really mind too much, I'm still looking forward to it. It's just I would like to do something a little different; I'll have to write my Sci-Fi one waaaaaay into the future! I'm feeling something Doctor Who-ish coming on...! This module sounds like a relatively easy one, and the lecturer is laid back, too. So, while I'm stressing out about my ECP, Creative Voice III, and the numerous Frisbee tournaments I'll be going to this term, I can relax with a little Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Perfect.

My first lecture is tomorrow (Creative Voice III) and I'm feeling pretty nervous. I then have a ECP meeting with my supervisor to discuss the new beginning I wrote (I'll post it here in the next couple of days). Then, on Thursday I can pick up all my marked assignments from last term, eep!

So, bring on my final semester, it's going to be a tough but great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment