Tuesday 15 January 2013

Reading 2012

Last year I read a grand total of 83 books. My goal had been 100, but after the summer I came to a reading block all because of stupid Wolf Hall and other boring books on my course's reading list. Now, however, I'm serious about getting to 100. It is a goal that my friend, The Student Housewife, and I both wanted to achieve. She managed 100, sadly I did not. But this year I'm gonna do it! Okay, so far I have only read two books in 15 days, and if I want to reach my goal I should be reading two a week. In my defence though, they were long books (Bag of Bones by Stephen King and The Two Towers by, you guessed it, J.R.R. Tolkien). I have nearly finished Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, a relatively interesting book for a core text. So that makes three!

But it got me thinking about how many books I read that were on my own personal reading list. I have had it since I was in year 12, so around 2008, and really, I haven't read as many as I would have liked. The books that are left, however, are all the long classic ones, like Dickens and Austin  Not really my cup of tea.

So, here are the books that I read in 2012 that were part of my personal reading list:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Through the Looking Glass
Brave New World
I, Robot
The Notebook
The Secret Garden
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy (all five)


....Okay, really not very many. But I also started reading:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Grapes of Wrath
Interview with the Vampire
Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Just The Return of the King left)
Middlesex
The Picture of Dorian Grey
A Room with a View
A Tale of Two Cities
The Time Machine
Treasure Island
The War of the Worlds



Clearly I get easily distracted. But I will have read at least two of these books before the end of the year for sure. The War of the Worlds is one of my core texts for my Sci-Fi and Fantasy module, and I really want to read The Return of the King. 

A great way to keep track of what you've read is by using Shelfari, it's that little bookcase at the top of my blog. It's really fun, if you're a book nerd like me at least. I definitely recommend you get one and keep on reading!

You can also find the full reading list here. And if you have any books you think I should read, please leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment