Monday 20 August 2012

New Plot Synopsis Feedback

Hurrah! My ECP supervisor has finally emailed me back, and with good feedback. If you haven't already you should probably read the synopsis first.

So, here's what she said:

'Hi Holly - some of your ideas here are really interesting - I love the aspect of re-writing endings and this strange mix of characters from books and contemporary characters being in it together. The plot feels a little muddied but that's OK at this stage- I'm sure it will start to feel clearer once you start writing. I think you have something a bit different here and it could work really well.

Well done for going and talking to some 'real' readers and having the strength to change your ideas to suit a real market - lots of students find this really hard to do as they get too set in their first thoughts so you are working professionally already. Excellent! 

I suggest you write the first three chapters in draft form, revisit your synopsis and think about what might need to change, then let me have a look at it.

Keep in mind the popular books you've been researching with - notice how they use dialogue, action, setting, description and pace, and try and incorporate these styles into your own - you don't want to lose your 'voice' but you do want to capture that contemporary edge.

If you find this hard, sometimes it works to literally copy out a page of one of the books that most impressed you, word for word, then carry on with the second page yourself in the same style and tone. When you've done this, begin yours - you should find you are in 'the zone' by doing this exercise, and that the style comes through fairly naturally.

Happy writing!'


I'm glad that she likes the mix of characters. If I carry on this series after University I have big plans for many more characters, like the Bronte sisters and Austen fighting over who has the best romantic male character. But that won't be for ages yet. I mean, I have to write three chapters first. I know I like writing but I'd rather read right now. And I have been doing lots of reading for this project, all I've been reading lately are young adult books. I should really start reading books from my reading list soon. but the seems so boring! I do like the advice about writing out a page of a book I like, I never thought about doing that before. 
So now that I have her feedback better get started on the serious stuff. Oh, and I said I would do another character profile sheet soon, I should do that too!

1 comment:

  1. "Keep in mind the popular books you've been researching with - notice how they use dialogue, action, setting, description and pace, and try and incorporate these styles into your own - you don't want to lose your 'voice' but you do want to capture that contemporary edge." - completely agree with this. Always useful to try writing a single section of your story in different styles and see which fits the most. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete