Tuesday 21 February 2012

The Fun of Module Selections

I have now chosen my modules for next year. It was hard this time as there were many modules that I didn't want to do, there seemed to be quite a few scriptwriting and poetry ones. While I like occasionally doing some scriptwriting and poetry  I don't think I could manage doing any more assignments about them. In the end I chose: Advanced Fictional Writing, Writing for Comics and Graphic Novels, Writing History Fiction, Science Fictions, and Creative Visions. I also wanted to do Writing Non-Fiction for Children but I could only choose three modules for the first semester. I was also tempted to do Creativity: Writing and Teaching, as I am considering being an English tutor or TA after University. However, I am still a little bit shy and the module description said it wasn't for the meek and students would have to act very silly, which isn't very me.


I will also be doing Creative Voice which is compulsory and I have been doing it for the past three years. This module explores a range of writing styles and techniques and encourages us to really look at our own writing. For example, I recently had to do a self-evaluation of my last year, and believe me it is hard to write about yourself critically. There is also a lot work-shopping and reading pieces out loud, so it has helped with my shyness somewhat. Last year I had to read a whole 2000 word piece out in front of class, but it wasn't too bad in the end. 


This third year also means FYP, or Final Year Project. This is the Creative Writing version of a dissertation, it's a creative piece of around 8000 words and a rationale or commentary of 2000 words. This may seem like a lot but it really isn't. It reminds me of when I first started Art, a sheet of A3 paper seemed massive and A2 was enormous, I never thought I'd do enough drawings to fill those pieces of paper! But now I look at those pieces of paper and think they're tiny, I mean, A4 is practically nothing! It's the same with writing. I used to think writing 1500 words would be hard, but you can do that in an hour if you know what you're writing. And 8000 will be nothing, especially when the average teen book is 40,000 - 45,000 words, 8000 words will barely get you through the introduction!

Overall, I am most excited for Comics and Graphic Novels as it's something completely different. I am a little bit apprehensive of Science Fictions because I'm not sure if I'm that nerdy, will I be able to make up all the crazy science jargon? Maybe I should watch more Star Trek! But before I can even think of third year, I have to get through this year first, although, I only have 6 weeks left!

No comments:

Post a Comment